Pennsylvania Member of Congress Tracking Report (MoCTrack)
Welcome to the Pennsylvania Member of Congress Tracking Report for the week ending May 24, 2020. We hope you had the opportunity to think upon those who gave their lives to our nation on this Memorial Day weekend. You can find the full MoCTrack Report here, and don’t forget to check out our Trump Tracker, with a one-number index of how often your MoCs vote in line with the Trump Administration agenda.
VOTES – Only the Senate was in session and took votes this week. It appears that Mitch McConnell’s response to the passage of the HEROES Act last week was to pretend that the coronavirus pandemic does not exist, and he played that out by shoving through five Trump Administration confirmations.
- Despite having misrepresented his past intelligence experience, Congressman John Ratcliffe is our new Director of National Intelligence.
- The Trump Administration ignored decades of custom by failing to fill a pair of Federal Election Commission vacancies with a Democrat and a Republican simultaneously. Instead, the pushed the confirmation of a Trump election volunteer with questionable election-fairness values into one seat, leaving the other empty.
- The first new judge for Arizona is known for “interpreting criminal laws expansively and protections narrowly.”
- The second new judge for Alabama is a 40 year old who has never tried a case before a jury.
- The third new judge for Oklahoma is an experienced former prosecutor.
TWEETS and MEDIA COVERAGE
We open with our Twitter Action sections with a segment on our MoCs’ continuing responses to the COVID-19 pandemic. Then we have their commentary on legislation, and lastly the Tweets of the Week from each of our twenty Pennsylvania MoCs. Our traditional media recaps are once again primarily focused on the pandemic, but both Senator Casey and Senator Toomey had extended interviews that are 100% worth reading, and we gathered key quotes from both.
Our civics educational section has returned with a reprint of a History.com article about Memorial Day! Please check out this Dave Roos piece titled “One of the Earliest Memorial Day Ceremonies Was Held by Freed Slaves.”
We have your Brian Fitzpatrick content in our special PA-01 report. We have tweets of the week focused on our trio of PA-01 MoCs, and the rest of Fitzpatrick’s traditional media coverage for the week(it was fairly light I the run up to the holiday).
Follow the votes and quotes from our Pennsylvania Members of Congress each week with MoCTrack, because they work for US!